Step-by-Step Guide to Renting Wesley Heights Studio
1. Check the estimated availabilty date on the home page to see if we can meet your needs.
2. Please remember our 3-month minimum lease requirement. Leases can be extended on a month-to-month basis pending availability of the property.
3. Email to be confirm availability and to let us know you are interested before the next step. Remember: we only have one apartment. Please don't assume that clicking on the Cozy link will reserve the apartment for you.
4. Click this link, https://home.cozy.co/apply/66981, to complete a renter profile and begin the background and credit check process. Cozy charges $39.95 for this service. (Your application and credit information can remain in your Cozy account for future rentals with other landlords who use Cozy.) We do not charge an additional application fee.
5. The Cozy application process typically takes about 24 hours. Once complete, we will agree on a move-in date and collect your security deposit to hold your reservation. You may pay the $1000.00 security/cleaning deposit with a check or we can bill you through Cozy. (Cozy charges a small fee to pay with credit cards; no charge for bank transfers.) Your security deposit is refundable within 48 hours.
6. Before you occupy the Studio, we would like to inspect the apartment with you and review a checklist of all of the contents of the Studio. During the inspection, we can note any damaged or missing items. Of course, you will not be responsible for either when you move out.
7. Before you move in, we will need to review and sign a lease describing our respective responsibilities. Monthly rent is $1600 payable each month in advance through Cozy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. May I inspect the apartment prior to making an application?
We encourage you to tour the neighborhood and can certainly show you the courtyard. If the Studio is occupied, we can try to arrange a quick look but we hesitate to impose on our tenants.
2. Can I extend my lease beyond the initial term I asked for?
With at least 30 days notice, we can usually work out an extension of your lease. We will need this notice in order to be able to advertise the Studio's availability appropriately for the next tenant.
3. What is included in the rent?
Included in your rent is the cost of water, electricity, Dish satellite TV, high speed internet, and Netflix via Apple TV settop box. A complete list of the Studio's furnishings and equipment is available here.
4. What about pets?
Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate pets in the Studio. Well...perhaps a goldfish. We are, however, committed to making reasonable accommodations to this rule for legitimate service dogs that have been trained to provide a disability-related service to a person with a disability. Please understand, however, that the Fair Housing Act does not require that we automatically make accommodations for service dogs (or miniature horses) or emotional support/comfort/assistance animals. The Fair Housing Act exempts rental properties that comprise buildings with 4 or fewer units in which the landord occupies one of the units. Please see Disabilty Rights North Carolina's publication Animals and the Fair Housing Act.
5. What about smoking?
The Studio is a nonsmoking property. We do not permit smoking in the apartment or the courtyard. Vaping is permitted in the courtyard but not the studio.
6. Is a cleaning service available?
We can refer you to a cleaning service with which you may make your own arrangement. We can provide a door lock code usable only at specified times to enable a cleaner to enter.
7. How will you handle my security deposit?
We will mail your depost within a week of your moving out less any charges for damage or missing items or to cover the need for excessive cleaning. We will discuss the latter with you prior to sending your check. Please understand that your final month's rent is payable in advance and your security deposit cannot be credited toward your monthly obligation.